Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Dash-X 3D Printer: Innovative design

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Neil Rosenberg, May 21, 2019.

1. Neil Rosenberg

Neil Rosenberg Journeyman
    Builder

Neil Rosenberg published a new build:

Read more about this build...

smithnovel and MFCarew like this.
  2. Shortyski13

Builder

What about CoreXY didn't you like? Asking because I'm building one (waiting for all the parts to come in).

3. Neil Rosenberg

Builder

Hi there and thanks for the message.

I want to be careful not to criticize CoreXY, as there are some VERY fine printers of this type. Take for example the Fusion series (i.e. F306) -- their printers use string drive in a CoreXY configuration and put out truly amazing print quality very quickly. They also cost over $4k each.

My comment is based on experiences with belt-driven printers. I have seen symptoms of unwanted flexing of the arms/carriages cause by (I think) interaction between the two axes. It was most pronounced in the H-Bot (a known issue), but I also saw it on CoreXY. In short, many of the movements exert unbalanced forces on the various bars and bearings and thus create the opportunity for positional errors. The Cross-Beam (and Prusa-style for that matter) does not have this issue. In fact the Dash-X Cross-beam goes one step further by having active synchronous drive on both ends of each beam.

I'm talking about really fine distinctions. I was able to get good parts from CoreXY, but they didn't quite rise to the quality my newly acquired Creality Ender 3 and CR10s Pro. BTW, the main drawback of these two fairly inexpensive Creality printers is their speed, or lack thereof.

Early results with this Cross-Arm system in Dash-X suggest that I'm getting quite close to Creality quality, while still keeping the speed up where I like it.

Of course your mileage may vary.

I'll report more as I dial it in and see how good it can get.

Neil

4. Shortyski13

Builder

What's your build volume? I don't see it listed but maybe I'm just missing it.
    I decided against the dual gantries due to a bit higher cost (I'm already a little over budget) and it would be tougher making them thick to span the large gap on my design's large volume, without flexing. I could be wrong tho and a bltouch probably negates that last point. Maybe i should have gone that way haha.
    Im hoping i don't get too much ringing with 10mm belts, but ill find out! In the name of experimentation!

5. Neil Rosenberg

Builder

My build volume is 300mm cubed. Might be a few mm short of that in the z axis.

Love to see what you're building, keep in touch!

6. Shortyski13

Builder

Mine is the Mushu Large CoreXY, if you scroll down a few through the 3d printers. It's not fully modelled but it has most of it. I do still need to add a few pics of the lift frame. It's around 20x26x28in build volume.

7. Neil Rosenberg

Builder

Very interesting!

I designed/built a 24" cube printer a few years back, but when the reality of printing times became apparent I decided it wasn't really suitable for making parts in my lifetime. In that printer I used the Volcano hot end plus a .8mm dia nozzle. Even with that, very large parts took an eternity.

Best of luck with your project.

Neil

8. Neil Rosenberg

Builder

9. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Hey guys just wanted to say that Neils book is fantastic and really goes in depth to help understanding all the fundamental design principles of 3D printers. We have a copy here at OpenBuilds HQ and the Team is enjoying and learning from it. If you are looking at building your own 3D printer please consider utilizing the research Neil has made available.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Neil Rosenberg

Builder

STLs, IGES and STEP files now uploaded and available. Thanks all for your interest.

MaryD likes this.
  11. Neil Rosenberg

Builder

I have updated the parts list
    1. A few item links needed refreshing, they are corrected now.
    2. 24v bed heaters are becoming scarce, everyone's using 120v with external relays. New links are provided to both in the list.
    3. I neglected to include the aluminum for the bed, it's in the list now.
    4. I also neglected to include the print surface. I am linking to my current favorite, the Anycubic Ultrabase.
    Neil

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.